continuous-integration/appveyor/branch AppVeyor build succeeded Details
Service-Core is a project to faciliate running a node application in (semi-)production environment on a windows machine. Using Windows Services, Service-Core will register itself and autostart on startup and make sure the application is running. In addition it will take care of maintaining the application including auto updating it seamlessly.
Notice, linux support is coming soon.
The core provides methods for updating applications as well as taking care of restarting and installing and everything needed to have a pleasent experience running a node application in Windows. It auto checks github for new releases based on the repository specified in
The core supports running two applications by default (specified in
- The manage app: Designated UI node app to provide UI interface on top of service-core. Not needed as service-core already does everything by itself but nice to have to remotely read logs and manually trigger updates among other things
- The main app: The main application service-core is designated to run.
Both the main app and manage app get regular update checks and will automatically be installed if a new version is detected.
To build a service-core application I recomennd checking out hello world app but in short, all service core applications require the following things:
index.mjsthat exposes a function called
start(config, db, log, core, http, port)
- The application in question must use the passed on
httpparameter to call
.createServer(). Otherwise service-core has no way of shutting it down to provide seamless updates among other things.
start() function gets called with following parameters:
- config: JSON object containing the entirety of
- db: A lowdb database available for the application to use. Also used internally in service-core to manage versions.
- log: A bunyan logger for logging.
- log.event.info,warn,error(message): Write a log message to the windows event viewer.
- core: The internal core. Exposes multiple methods for managing service-core
- http: A wrapped internal node http to call
.createServer(). Allows service-core to monitor the server in question.
- port: The port the application should be listening to.